About Me

header ads

MARION AUNOR: Take a Chance Concert

MARION AUNOR: Take a Chance Concert

Singer-songwriter Marion Aunor will turn 23 on April 10 and she is celebrating with a solo concert cum album launch slated on April 10, 8 p.m., at The Promenade’s Teatrino at Greenhills Shopping Center.
Special guests are the following:

Edgar Allan Guzman
Vin Abrenica
Michael Pangilinan
Edward Benosa
Ashley Aunor


The concert is aptly titled “Take a Chance.”
Did you know that Marion is a music mill, a true artist with endless passion to create songs out of even the simplest life experiences. She wrote “You Don’t Know Me,” carrier single off Kathryn’s debut album, and “Goodbye Kiss” for Alex Gonzaga’s newly released album.
“I love composing songs, there’s something in me that wants to do something new always. I hate routine.” Marion explains.
“Take a Chance” serves as venue for the launch of Marion’s still untitled second studio album for Star Records. Marion’s singing and writing skills are extensively displayed in this all-original album with a bonus track. Apart from those written by Jonathan Manalo and Joven Tan, all cuts in the 11-track album are Marion Aunor compositions. The bonus track is “Pumapag-ibig,” one of the finalist songs at Himig Handog 2014 which Marion, together with two artists, interpreted for composer Jungee Marcelo.
Mall tours to promote Marion’s concert and new album cover SM Baliuag on March 22, SM Muntinlupa on March 29. After “Take a Chance,” come shows at SM Las Pinas (April 11) and a hotel in Baguio (April 25).
In case you still didn’t know, Marion is daughter of the 70s’ actress-producer Maribel “Lala” Aunor and niece of Superstar Nora Aunor. Lala, owner of production outfit Foxy Productions Manila, Mary Pauline parlor franchise, manpower agency, and apartelle, among other business enterprises, is La Aunor’s cousin.
Clearly music runs in the blood and this is what makes her “very Aunor,” according to Marion. “Everyone in the family is musically inclined. Grandma (Mamay Belen, Nora Aunor’s mom) is 84 years old, still she plays the guitar, the violin…I think I got this composing thing from her. She sings all the time.”
Marion, who also plays the piano, said her voice is distinctly Aunor and unique in that sense. There was a time, she said, she wished her voice were higher so she could join the bandwagon of biriteras in the industry. But mother Lala opened her eyes to the gift of music inherent to their family.
“Sinabi n’ya, ‘Sa family natin, di tayo mga biritera. Even si Tita Nora hindi bumibirit.’ Parang may distinct quality lang daw ang singing style namin. After she told me that, I felt better and natutuwa akong so far ina-accept ng audience ang singing style na ito kahit hindi birit,” Marion shared.
“My singing style is very laid back. Sabi nga ni Sir Jungee (Marcelo) when he picked me for ‘Pumapag-ibig,’ ang voice ko raw parang tamad-tamaran lang pero it works. Oh yeah, less effort… people tell me it’s distinct so I guess it’s good to be different than the rest.”
Right after college (Communication Technology Management at the Ateneo University), Himig Handog P-Pop Love Songs 2013 jumpstarted her career as a songwriter. Her entry “If Ever You Change Your Mind” won third place in the songwriting competition. She made it to the 2013 Philpop musicfest Top 12 with her entry “Do Do Do” but dropped out of competition abiding by her talent management’s decision. Star Records earmarked the song for her self-titled debut album which came out in July that same year and became the theme of Kapamilya actress Kathryn Bernardo’s 18th birthday celebration.
It may be her first love but Marion revealed she is not confining her artistry to music. “I want a total package. I’m so grateful na singer and songwriter ako na nabigyan ng big break ng Star Records. But I’d like to try different things like hosting, acting, among others.”
As such, it’s not surprising to know that Marion joined the recent Star Magic acting workshop for free, upon the recommendation of Ms. Charo Santos herself. She singled her out, recognizing “something” in Marion needed to be honed. Unfortunately, because of her busy schedule, Marion failed to make it through the 18-month rigid Star Magic training. She intends to make another try in the future though.
The Encounter with ‘Big Brother’
Thinking it would do her good, singer-songwriter Marion Aunor likewise recently auditioned for the new edition of ABS-CBN’s reality show “Pinoy Big Brother.”
“I need this,” she told herself. And this resolve motivated her to endure the three stages of auditions for PBB. Never mind if she had to wait for an eternity for her turn, just like the rest of the auditionees.
People who know her presumed she would certainly get a slot because of her rich musical heritage, besides being a rising star herself. They were under the impression that since she was Marion Aunor, PBB would take her in.
But did she make it? Allow Marion to tell her story.
“Oh my gosh! That was crazy,” Marion described her PBB experience. “I was included in the mobile fast track so I didn’t have to wait in line, like at 9 o’clock. I thought I would just be like passing by and then everything’s okay, but it wasn’t like that. So I was there at 4 p.m. and finished at 12 midnight. They finished Round 1 first, auditioning everyone, including those who had queued since morning yet. Then rounds 2 and 3 were done in the evening.
“In Round 2, when I met with direk Lauren (Dyogi, Big Brother himself), I saw that he was just looking at me. I didn’t know if he recognized me, he didn’t acknowledge me or anything, he just looked at me. I thought maybe he liked my outfit or something,” she said in between laughter.
Marion made it to Round 3, the interview with direk Lauren, only to be told, “Marion, you don’t need this.”
Thrice Marion tried to convince him otherwise. “I insisted I needed PBB. I said, ‘I really enjoyed today and I got to meet a lot of people.’ And he said, ‘Okay, that’s enough reward for you.’” Then Big Brother sent her home.
But Marion, passionate about her craft, can’t just leave without making direk Lauren know that she took PBB to heart. “Okay, since you’re not gonna get me, can I pitch a song for you?” she told the director.
The entire PBB audition inspired her to write a song, in Tagalog yet, which comes in rare. Marion sang it for Dyogi. ”It’s about auditioning and getting rejected a lot. But even when that happens, you still follow your dreams,” the 22-year-old artist shared.
The director’s response: “At least I know you are interested in PBB.”
She may not have made it to PBB but at least Marion took a chance and saw for herself that PBB shows no partiality. “It was a great experience. I really felt the struggle (as a wannabe). You guys don’t know that… na hindi ako pasok. I’m glad that PBB favors no one, na just because you are so and so, you’re in. Many are under that impression. I experienced for myself that PBB is legit.”
Marion doesn’t consider PBB a failure on her part, rather, an opportunity to grow in wisdom and strength. “Honestly, I was really hesitant to audition for PBB because what if I don’t get in and then it gets publicized. Rejection is massive, I am not the only one who knows about it. But my mom and Ate Patty (Ramos, project coordinator) told me, ‘You are going to get a lot of no’s, maybe 10 no’s, but how would you know if you are going to get a no or a yes if you are not going to try.’”
Even as the Aunor distinction hangs over her head, Marion feels she still has to prove her worth. “I still feel the struggle of having to prove myself, just like everyone else in the business. I’m just trying to prove to myself, to my mom, and to everyone else na worth itong pinu-pursue ko. I’m just taking it one step at a time. I’ll see where this goes… I’m just enjoying it.”
Marion is a contract artist of Star Magic and Star Records. abangan ninyo as she takes a chance at stardom via her debut concert on April 10.

Post a Comment

0 Comments